Leopard geckos are charming little creatures. Because of that, choosing a name for your pet leo can be an inspiring quest – there are so many interesting and original options.
On the other hand, that can make picking a name harder. The more inspiration you have, the harder it can be to actually choose a single name.
Also, if you are a first-time reptile owner, you might get a little bit confused. Since leos and other lizards are radically different from typical mammalian pets, pet names we are used to – like ‘Fluffy’, ‘Fuzzy’, ‘Whiskers’ or ‘Paws’ just won’t fly – for obvious reasons.
But fear not – we are here to help you out!
If you want to find out some good leopard gecko names, read on and discover our very own leopard gecko names list.
I will do my best to cover it all – male leopard gecko names, female leopard gecko names, as well as the unisex leopard gecko names.
Male Leopard Gecko Names
Some classic, popular and commonly encountered names for male leos include:
- Tiger (good name for leos with line-dominated color patterns)
Female Leopard Gecko Names
Interesting options for naming a female leopard gecko are:
- Blizzie (from ‘Blizzard’ quite an obvious choice for Blizzard gecko morph)
- Lila (from ‘Lilac’ – ideal for Lavender morph gecko girls)
- Zilly (from -zilla)
Unisex Leopard Gecko Names
If you have a hatchling or a juvenile, you won’t know the sex until he or she is older. That can make picking a name a bit difficult, but don’t worry – there are plenty of cute unisex names that will suit a leo for life, regardless of its a boy or a girl.
- Bumps (because of leo’s skin texture)
- Goosebumps (again – because of leo’s skin texture)
As you can see, many of the names are based on the classic leo physical traits – spots, bumpy skin, and that gorgeous smile.
Note that some of the names on Male and Female Names lists can also be used as unisex names (e.g. ‘Coconut’).
Cool and Original Leopard Gecko Names
When naming an unusual pet such as reptile, you can look well beyond the constraints of typical pet names and derive new names from various inspirational sources.
Dinosaur names are a good example of unique names.
Leopard geckos sort of look like tiny dinosaurs, right?
Well, cool and unique leopard gecko names can be derived from scientific dinosaur names – and fit them perfectly.
- Raptor (from Velociraptor)
- Bronto (from Brontosaurus)
- Rex (T-Rex)
- Spino (Spinosaurus)
- Allo (Allosaurus)
- Dilo (Dilophosaurus)
- Dread (Dreadnoughtus)
- Ankyl (Ankylosaurus)
- Dino (general dinosaur reference)
Some of these names sound suitable for males (e.g ‘Raptor’), while others (‘Dilo’) can be considered unisex.
Perhaps a bit less original – but still cool – is the option of naming your leo after famous movie dinosaurs.
If you are looking for a though dino iteration, there is that bunch of Velociraptors from ‘Jurassic Park’:
If you are looking for a cute dino association, there are probably not many cuter dinosaurs than the crew from ‘The Land Before Time’:
Last but not least, if you are looking for a terrific name or have an exceptionally large leo (Giant morphs), you might want to consider the most famous dinosaur-like movie monster: Godzilla.
The Japanese Godzilla brings us to another interesting name category.
Let’s make this clear right at the start – leopard gecko’s origins don’t have anything to do with Japan.
However, because of their specific large eyes and constant smiles, they do bring to mind characters from Japanese comics (‘Manga’) and cartoons (‘Anime’).
Indeed, at the time I fell for leos, I was quite an anime fan. A coincidence?
You can use this and get a lot of inspiration from searching through Japanese pet names. They sound unusual and beautiful, and they can become suitable leopard gecko names as well.
I’ve picked ten names for leo girls and another ten for leo boys based on the way they sound, and of course, their meanings.
Girl leo Japanese names
- Aimi (‘Lovely Beauty’)
- Amaya (‘Night Rain’)
- Aya (‘Colorful Design’)
- Chika (‘Scattered Flowers’)
- Hikari (‘Radiance’)
- Hiromi (‘Abundant Beauty’)
- Kabuki (‘Japanese Theatre’)
- Kioko (‘Happy’)
- Nami (‘Wave’ – interesting for morphs with wave-like lines/marks)
- Yoko (‘Sunny’ – ideal for yellow and orange leo morphs)
Boy leo Japanese names:
- Daiki (‘Great Glory’)
- Hoshi (‘Star’ – unisex name: can be used for females too)
- Jiro (‘Second Son’)
- Judo (‘Fighter’)
- Koko (‘Short’ – unisex name: can be used for females too)
- Nao (‘Docile’)
- Norio (‘Man of Love’)
- Ryu (‘Dragon’)
- Taiki (‘Large’)
- Yukio (‘Gets what he wants’)
Naming Your Leopard Gecko: General Advice
- Considering the characteristics of your pets when you are picking a name can be helpful. These can be both physical traits (e.g. color) and character traits.
- Unless you have a special reason, avoid giving your pet leo a human name typical for your region. You might get some weird looks from new acquaintances if you have to tell them: ‘Oh my, I have a lizard that has the same name as you!’… And you would probably feel bad about avoiding the topic altogether.
- Since your leos don’t react to their own names like dogs or cats do, you can always change the name if you realize that the first one does not really suit your pet. However, this can feel a bit wrong after some time has past.
- Unless you have a very clear idea from the start, it is better wait a bit and get to know your new pet before deciding on a name. He doesn’t need a name to get an ID, or even an official health record like other pets, so there is no need to rush.
The name suggestions from our leopard gecko name lists could be the end of your wandering or just the beginning. Besides providing concrete ideas and direct inspiration, I intended to show you that when it comes to leo names – you can really let your creativity run wild.
Did you like our leopard gecko names list? Was it helpful?
How did you name your leo?
If you have other cool leopard gecko name suggestions, let us know in the comments – we would love to hear all of your awesome leopard gecko name ideas!